MCI, Defaming 4 Expats who Stored 100 kilos of Rotten Meat to be Sold at a Labor Housing in Khobar

13 Mar 2019

The Ministry of Commerce and Investment has defamed today four expats of Egyptian and Indian nationality. They have been found guilty of violating the Anti-Commercial Fraud Law by possessing and storing dead sheep meat and other meat of unknown origin, not fit for human consumption. They used to store the meat in a place not suitable for meat storage and lacks the health requirements. They used to distribute and sell such rotten meat at a labor housing in Al-Khobar, Eastern Region.

A verdict was issued by the Criminal Court in Dammam to condemn the four defendants, also to impose a fine of SR 80,000, as well as the closure of the site, the confiscation and destruction of all seized quantities, besides defamation by publishing the sentence in two local newspapers at the expense of the violators.

In details, MCI received a tip about some expats storing and selling rotten meat at a labor housing. Upon raiding the site, MCI inspectors seized 100 kg of corrupted meat, of unknown origin. Therefore, all the quantities were confiscated and destroyed, and the case was referred to the judicial authority for taking the legal measures in accordance with the Anti-Commercial Fraud Law. 

The Ministry of Commerce and Investment confirms the continuation of addressing those violating the Anti-Commercial Fraud Law by taking stern measures and imposing the legal penalties against them, in view of the fraud and deception towards the consumers. The Rules & Regulations related to Anti-Commercial Fraud Law stipulates penalties that may reach to three-year imprisonment, fines up to one million riyals or both , Defamation in two local newspapers at the expense of the violator, deportation of the illegal labors from the Kingdom, besides the suspension and prevention of practicing the same commercial activity.
MCI calls on all consumers to lodge their complaints or observations through MCI Consumer Call Center (1900), or through the application of a Commercial Violation Report, or via the Ministry's website.

Last Modified 14 Mar 2019